The Straley Family







Hello and Welcome to Nanny Goat Primitives' Blog! I am looking forward to sharing bits and pieces about my primitive adventures with you! Brew a cup of steaming hot tea and make yourself at home.




Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Welcome to Nanny Goat's Blog

Hello and Welcome!

My name is Deanna. “Nanny Goat” is a treasured childhood nickname given to me by my older sister Debbie (we call her Mary Poppins). When I was wee, I'm told that I ate LOTS of paper and often butted my head into people, dogs, walls, anything. Hmmm . . . maybe that's what's wrong with me?? LOL My younger sister's name is Dawn (Debbie nicknamed her Squirt).


The Byberg Sisters from Left to Right: Dawn Lorraine (Squirt), Deborah Lynn (Mary Poppins) and Deanna Louise (Nanny Goat). My best friends. We never met a quilt store we didn't like!

I am often asked who the pretty lady is in my logo. Her name was Louise Flaten Byberg, and she was my paternal grandmother.

I am lucky! I found my passion early in life and I turned that passion into a business. I am able to work at home doing what I love AND stay at home with my children. I am truly blessed.

I have always loved anything old. As a young girl, I collected antique kitchen goodies for my hope chest. I still have many of these treasures! My passion for primitives grew out of this love of antiques.

My sisters and I were encouraged as children to keep our hands busy and our mouths shut! We all learned to knit, crochet, cross stitch and sew at an early age by watching our grandmother.
To help make ends meet, Grammy Byberg made custom draperies. My sisters and I spent many hours underneath her drapery board while she sewed away the afternoon on her old Singer. The luxurious fabric hung over the drapery board and created the imaginary home of our dreams. Grammy often joined us for lunch under the drapery board and taught us the magic of needle and thread. Grammy gave us her drapery scraps and we created our own draperies, doll quilts and linens for our little house. We sat cross-legged, giggled and hand sewed the bits and pieces of fabric from her scrap sack not knowing that this was the beginning of a life long passion for the three of us.

When I’m not creating primitives, I enjoy quilting, cross stitch (primitive samplers of course), knitting and crocheting. I also enjoy “climbing” our family tree!

Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Country*Road*Primitives said...

Looks great Deanna!! I've started working on one, too... what would we do without Sue?? Hugs, Carla